Surprise, surprise, Internet Exploder borks it...

Posted on July 26, 2004

Well, I’ve been trying the site out and so far:

  • tried it on Safari and it works great. But then it should, since I developed for it;
  • tried it in FireFox for Macintosh and it looks great with one minor hitch I will have to look into: the navigation on the right (context-dependent navigation) sometimes gets one or more extra lines between the “boxes” and sometimes even loses the line at the bottom. It may be a badly designed CSS but I really don’t think so and since it is only FireFox that does this I’m blaming the browser for now. But I do keep an open mind! :-)
  • tried it in Opera for Linux and it works great except for the relative positioning of the pictures and the text in the main picture list. That’s it, I’m leaving CSS to where it matters and sticking to tables here, I’m mainly interested in having the site working, I don’t want to spend ages just tweaking CSS in order to get what is, essentially, a tabular content right. I really wish I didn’t have to do this but I’m fed up with it;
  • then I tried it on Internet Exploder 6. Oh my GOD! I don’t even know where to begin! As usual it must be the rest of the world’s fault, but the fact is that every other browser did it (mostly) right but Exploder didn’t seem to be able to center the pages, to deal with invisible PNGs, to position the navigation buttons consistently, why even the background image of the header only appears on some sections of the site and the code used to render it is exactly the same!

So basically what I’m saying is: everything is as expected, nothing too alarming but I will have to take drastic steps to deal with Exploder. Man this just plainly and utterly sucks! I don’t want to spend any more time on looks and design than I absolutely have to, I want to start writing stuff on my wiki, but this looks like it is going to last for a while… :-(