This is what I call a “living entry”. What this means is that I will update it regularly as the need arises.
Or at least I intend to… Let’s see how it pans out.
Well, with my 40GB hard-drive almost full and because I’ve had my iBook for quite a while now and never re-installed it I feel like a big format and re-install process is looming on the horizon.
This will not happen very soon but anyway I though it would be a good idea to list the apps I use and can’t live without right now to help the process when the time comes.
And also because I’m a list geek. So there. :)
So when I do the roll-call on my Mac these apps are the ones that respond:
- The complete iLife suite (without iDVD, no point in it)
- CodeTek Virtual Desktop (may be gone in the future, but for now still essential)
- Quicksilver (lifesaver)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Palm Desktop
- Firefox (I use Safari extensively, but this is essential sometimes)
- BitTorrent client
- DivX plugin for Quicktime
- Quicktime professional
- DNSUpdate (DynamicDNS client)
- Microsoft Office X
- PDA SafeID Desktop (Palm application with a desktop interface)
- Real One Player (not very essential, maybe?)
- SplahPhoto (another Palm app with a desktop interface)
- SSHKeychain (absolutely essential)
- TNEF’s Enough Carbon (sigh…)
- VLC (maybe not so essential now, I’ll have to see)
- Windows Media Player
- WinSwitch (because fast user switching is good but the menu bar item is ridiculously big)
There are lots of other things installed in my laptop right now but I think these are the ones that would make it to a new installation right at the start.